Tuesday 24 July 2012

Tourists don't know where they have been, travelers don't know where they are going!


I have always believed that taking regular breaks from the mundane chores of daily life is very important. A break to pause, to contemplate and enjoy...... A break to seek some inner tranquility and rejuvenation… I was planning my Mumbai trip for long but this time it was not for my work. It was for few personal ties, for few unanswered questions in mind, for some of my close friends and above all for my time alone with me.

With my boarding pass in hand, I was off to Mumbai – clueless as to what waited for me on the other end of the flight. I was sitting in the plane with some uncertain rug pulled in under me. Something was happening… My heart was racing with anticipation at the unknown.

During the course of meal I started chatting with a fellow passenger in flight who told me about the holy shrine, Shirdi which is highly placed on the map of spirituality and draws innumerable pilgrims from far and wide. It had been my mother’s unfulfilled wish to go there for several years. When my co passenger was narrating me about the place, my eyes suddenly lit up, I thought about my mom and said to myself with a smile "This is it! I am going there in next couple of hours"


 I have often heard my elders say that one cannot reach God’s altar unless he summons. Probably true! My flight landed in Mumbai around 8:15pm and around 5:30 am next morning I was all ready to leave for Shirdi alone. Just few hours; and route of my journey changed by bizarre plans of destiny. I was really wondering how comfortable it would be for me to travel to an unknown town, unknown state, that too through roads that I had never known about but as usual path finder starts the journey alone humming a song “Ekla Chalo Re” by Ravindranath Tagore, I began my journey alone to the holy pilgrimage of shirdi J


It was a different feeling covering 7 hours long journey one side in company of my own being having many self realizations and watching some very spectacular scenery through vast green plains and huge windmills. It was drizzling on the way. I pulled my face outside the window, closed my eyes, smiled and felt those beautiful raindrops on my face. I spent most of my journey playing with a little girl who wanted to tell me all her poems and also all alphabets  she learnt in school by singing innocently H, I , J, K, elleo mello , p, ello, mello, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z lol On my way, I smiled with many strangers, had food at dhaba with locals, clicked many pictures and also tried being a shepherded for a while :P  



On reaching Shirdi I had Darshan of baba and took his divine blessings. I knew it since beginning when he beckons; he also creates bridges for us to cross. The focal point of the room was the life-size marble statue of Sai Baba. The statue is serene and peace etches out in its every fold. Just one look at the kind, compassionate face and you know that all will be right with the world. I was filled with the deep sense of gratitude and peace I can’t even describe. I made my way back to Mumbai post this.

Next day was reserved for Lonavla with my friends. Once again a day filled with laughs, stupid expressions and lots of love. May be the emotions can best be described with the face book pictures that are talking aloud of the fun we all had. It was my first visit to Lonavla. Rains and waterfalls had definitely added to the beauty of the place. I can’t forget to mention all the special dinners, silent talks and beach walks that I had in Mumbai. In my every visit this city has given me something and has also taken from me. But every time I have returned from here I have become a better person. Some one who values life, people, relations and know the meaning of living life and not just existing. So till this city calls me next and shower me with new surprises I am back to my people to spread some more smiles and take many more blessings in return. Amen!


5 comments:

  1. the beauty of life is that there is so much to know about people, places , taste , feelings that it always push you to a point where you feel lost and then discover a new you...

    there were no special dinners , no silent talks and no beach walks.... but still something was there....

    i used to be a person with hope always dripping out of the blood...but hope is a dangerous thing..hope can drive a man insane...

    is it what hope is..i used to believe hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

    This is what comes back to me after reading your blog...hope... which i had lost somewhere driving down the road...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel Hope and faith are two things that have power to change any thing. Have been experiencing it for a while now. Travelling makes us a better person. Meeting new people, learning from experiences, falling and then getting up again that's what life's journey is all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. true.. i have always been a travel freak... india is such a huge coutry... u drive from one state to another and the culture changes , the food changes , the language changes... so much diversity in our land.... its just amazing experience while travelling....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its indeed a blissful journey..Spending time at Shirdi is like gaining much more for your life..!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I experienced that Abhiraj! Few hours before I didn't even know I am travelling there alone and after coming back I realized how beautifully it affected my being :)

    ReplyDelete